-->

Friday, October 5, 2012

Zombie Cake Attack!

My sister in law requested a Zombie Cake for her recent birthday party. Well after googling images I was pretty sure on my design. The head would need to be poking out of the ground with the hands or fingers poking out too. I set a 8" round on the rectangle cake and added a little extra angled cake behind the head to angle it up.

Then I adhered the nose, cheeks, forehead and chin pieces with a little frosting. Then I added the rolled fondant to the frosted cake. Added the wrinkles with a shaping tool, added nostrils by pressing the ball tool into the nose and cut out sections for the eyes. I made two eyeballs out of white fondant mixed with just a little red food color gel and detailed them with painted of red food color gel for the prominent veins. Added the green and black fondant to the eyes for the pupil and iris. One eye was pushed into an eye socked and one was left out to dangle. The fingers were made of thick short pretzels wrapped with leftover fondant and icing from the face. I pushed these directly into the cake. At this point I decided I wanted the face more green so I brushed on green food coloring, this also helped accent the wrinkles. I added rice noodles for the hair and red corn syrup for the gory blood. The cake was pumpkin chocolate which I read was a healthier way to make a cake and appropriate for Fall.

1 comment:

Heather Dixon said...

Woa, creepy! My niece is sitting next to me and we both think this cake is the perfect zombie :D