-->

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Metallica Cake and Tutorial




Source material below.

I kind of love getting these manly, rock design cake requests. It's quite a departure from what I normally do and just so fun! First, I covered the cake in black fondant. I knew I wanted to incorporate a chain into the design. With my extruder I made some long medium sized ropes with gray fondant. I then cut them to size and formed an 'O', using a bit of water and brush I adhered the Os to the side of the cake leaving about an inch in between each one. Then I cut ropes a little larger then half the length of the links to make the side ways links, adhering the ends to the side of the cake which fit between the links, see picture below.



As for the skull, I started with a light brown patty shape and then smushed and molded it into the general head position. I used a large ball tool to form the dents for the eye socks, nose and ear hole. A tiny blade was used to make some of the cracks in the skull. I made two large brown bats and cut them in half. I then placed one so it would look like it was coming through the skull (lots of jagged edges here help the look) and one coming from behind the skull. I made yellow teeth which I placed into teeth sockets using a little water. Maybe they were a touch too yellow. Someone needs to get to the dentist. Lol. Using left over gray from the chain I extruded some ropes for the metal pieces coming from the bats, cut those to various lengths, rolled one tip out to form a point and let those dry for a bit.

I made holes in the bats with a small ball tool and started to push in my metal barbs cause I just couldn't wait any longer! In the meanwhile though I started painting the skull with brown food coloring mixed with vodka. The alcohol evaporates quickly leaving just the diluted food coloring behind. I also added black in the same fashion there on the eye sockets, ear, nose and even some cracks just to get a little crazy. I kinda liked the watercolor effect of the original logo and tried to replicate that look.


Next up was adding the birthday boy's name and age. For logos like band names I usually google the name like 'Metallica free font'. Then download it, open photoshop, write out the message, print it, cut it, and using an exacto knife trace and cut it out of fondant. Whew! Since I couldn't find a really good matching font I just created my own using  a stand set of letter cutters for the middle letters and then getting a little creative with the first and last letter shapes with my exacto knife. Below is the band logo and then a detail of what I did. Kinda had to get creative since I didn't have a bunch of room with the chains in the way and all.


After that I decided I should add the 'damage inc." which I wasn't really going to add but then decided it looked kinda blah without it there. So I cut rectangles out of black and white fondant and used two sets of letters that I had, stretching some letters to created the longer letters. Finally, one of the funnest parts was just adding the Silver Luster Dust, again, mixed with vodka, to the metal parts of the cake. It really makes them stand out an look super shiny and realistic. Well, that is all I have to say about that. Hit me up with any questions you may have about this in the comments section below. Rock on, party people!







No comments: