-->

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Piped Buttercream Ruffle Cake


I always like to make the cakes I want to make for my family's birthdays. Since my mother in law is not exactly a fan of fondant (she peels it off every time!) I decided to make this all buttercream cake. I have seen the design before when looking up buttercream design cakes and thought it looked really cool. I just used a large petal tip and zig zagged up the sides of the cake, I found making a light indent with a knife in the side of the cake really helps to keep the piping straight. The top is done in a large spiral circle and kinda looks like a rosette on top. I made the topper with some scrapbook paper and skewers with a heart template I made. The cake is a new recipe (also have been wanting to try for awhile) called Hummingbird cake. It's banana cake with nuts and crushed pineapple. I've also seen recipes that include raisins or dried cranberries, that could be awesome but I thought I'd keep it simple for now. The recipe also had cream cheese frosting - delish! I'm a sucker for cream cheese frosting. Here is the recipe I used if you'd like to give it a try, you won't be sorry. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hummingbird-cake-0

No comments: